September 6, 2006

The magic of "Blogs of Note"

Wow, Becoming the Blog of note is really something! It has brought 6000+ unique visitors to my blog since yesterday! Any my subscriber base has increased from 34 readers to a whopping 196 in just one day. I am overwhelmed, to say the least :) I extend a warm welcome to all my new readers.

To get a good handle on my subscriber base, I thought I will replace the RSS/Atom autodiscovery links in my blog with Feedburner link. You could also use this instruction if you would like to make your Feedburner feed as the only auto-discoverable feed. In Beta template, the autodiscovery links hide behind the line (even if you expand widget template).

<b:include data='blog' name='all-head-content'/>


I found it's expansion by viewing page source and replaced these RSS/Atom links

<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Hackosphere - Atom"
href="http://beta.blogger.com/feeds/30859916/posts/summary" />
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Hackosphere - RSS"
href="http://beta.blogger.com/feeds/30859916/posts/summary?alt=rss" />


with this feedburner link.

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS"
href="http://feeds.feedburner.com/Hackosphere" />

With this change, Firefox auto-discovered this feed from my blog. But Bloglines still finds only the old atom.xml and rss.xml (maybe from cache). So, if you had given my blog URL in bloglines and subscribed to one of these old feeds, please use the "Subscribe to bloglines" button in my sidebar and subscribe to the Feedburner feed instead.

Ok, enough of subscriber tracking, I guess. I will be back with a good hack soon.

4 comments:

chumly said...

Congrads again.

the DIY Master said...

congrats dude... good for you.. i have about 17 page views since i started blogging :(

whats wrong with my blog 0.o

DangerousDerrida said...

hackosphere,

your blog deserves to be highlighted--bloggers are getting v. practical help here + it is a space for folks to talk about the nitty gritty of blogging.

Did said...

Hello!

First, excuse my english: I'm Swiss and I don't speak very well english.

Your solution for feeds is great, but I have a problem. When I want to edit my blog's HTML code, I can't see the code behind (b:include data='blog' name='all-head-content'/) (I've selected the "Expand Widget Templates" tab).

I just can see it if I right-click on my blog. But it's impossible to change the code...

How can I do?