December 7, 2006

Updates to some hacks

This post is just to inform you that I have updated my Drop-down menu creator as follows:
1. The menu options will open up in a new window when selected. This is to avoid a visitor going away from your blog. You wouldn't want him/her to leave just by clicking something in the sidebar, right?
2. You can provide some default text such as "Select a blog" or "Select a book" etc which won't have any associated link. This text will be the one shown in the menu when the page is loaded.

Also, Abhisek indicated to me that there's a correction needed in the URL for Digg hotlink (phase=3 to be corrected as phase=2). I also noticed that it is possible to add the post's title to the link for Digg just like Delicious. So, I have updated the code for the hotlink in my previous post.

8 comments:

The Chicas said...

I created a drop down menu using your hack but it doesn't seem to work in IE 7. It works great in Firefox. How can I fix this?

Unknown said...

are you talking about the "ways to subscribe" menu? i do see it in IE 6.

The Chicas said...

Yeah, the pull down menu shows up in IE, but when you make a selection, nothing happens. In Firefox, immediately, it takes you to the website of the choice of selected. It is not like this in IE.

Unknown said...

I have been postponing the download of IE7 (I use firefox2). Now I thought I will do that now that I have a reason. I faced the same problem as you and then realized that IE7's popup blocker is blocking the new window from opening. That's so lame because the user is clicking on something which should not be considered as popup. If you temporarily disable popups using the icon in status bar, it works. Moral of the story - don't use IE :)

The Chicas said...

Thanx Ramani, I just tried your suggestion in IE and it worked. IE considers a link in your pull down menu a pop-up. I hate IE, but unfortunately, a large percentage of visitors to my blog still use it. Firefox 2 is awesome!

Unknown said...

yeah I understand. we have to get things working with IE too.

Scary Monster said...

Awesome! Awesome!!AWESOME!!!
The Monster thanks you for turning something complicated into something wonderfully simple.

STOMP!

Janice said...

Thank you thank you thank you for this!!! My link list was getting so long and I was wondering how to figure out how to do a drop down menu!